From Antalya, the world’s record holder for the highest number of Blue Flag beaches, through the terraces of Pamukkale and the hot air balloons in Cappadocia to the charming Uludağ Mountains, Turkey has a lot to offer. Personally, I fell in love with Turkey at the first sight, as soon as I walked out of the Istanbul Airport. If you’re visiting this amazing country soon, check out our Turkey travel hacks to get some useful information before you visit.
Basic Information About Turkey
Turkey is home to 83 million people. The ethnic groups are Turks, Kurds, Arabs, Laz, Circassians, Bosnians and others.
The official language is Turkish.
Turkey’s official currency is the Turkish lira (currency code TRY). One Euro/USD is equal to roughly 7.3 – 6.6 TRY.
With a territory of 783,356 square kilometers, Turkey is the 37th largest country in the world. Turkey is a transcontinental Eurasian country located between western Asia and Eastern Europe. Turkey borders the Black Sea, between Bulgaria and Georgia, and the Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea, between Greece and Syria.
Turkey’s costal side which borders the Aegean and Mediterranean Seas has a temperate Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and cool, wet winters. Turkey’s coastal areas which borders the Black Sea have a temperate Oceanic climate with warm, wet summers to cold, wet winters.
Economy & Budget
Turkey is an upper-middle income country with a free market economy. Backpackers can survive with around $30 per day, while mid-range travelers spend between $60 and $80 per day on average.
Ankara is the capital city of Turkey with total population of 5 million.
Books to read before traveling to Turkey
More Turkey Travel Hacks
- 17 Gorgeous Beach Towns In Turkey You Have To Visit
- Breakfast In Istanbul- 15 Amazing Breakfast Spots In Istanbul
- 33 Best Cafes In Istanbul Every Coffee Lover Has To Visit
- Istanbul Off The Beaten Track- 18 Hidden Gems in Istanbul Most People Don’t Know About
- Antalya off the beaten track – hidden gems in Antalya for a different experience
- Medical Tourism In Turkey: 10 Important Things To Know Before You Visit
- The most common tourist scams in Eastern Europe and how to avoid them
- 21 Weird Borders Across The World Where Things Get A Bit Strange
- A solo traveler’s guide to Turkey: Everything you need to know
- 11 Great Reasons To Try Backpacking Europe In Winter + 5 Awesome Itinerarie
- Unique Travel Experiences: 30 Bucket-List Destinations You Should See Before You Die