Bulgaria is the last stop of the former Soviet Bloc. Where the Old Balkan Mountains crash into the Black Sea and where the West meets the East. I know it’s a cliché thing to say but in Bulgaria’s case, it’s true. Unlike the other countries on the Balkan, in Bulgaria, you will find big Chinese, Arab, and Indian communities. Bulgaria is also the oldest country in Europe never to change its name. Are you a traveling hipster that is searching for a different experience? Then travel to Bulgaria is certainly a must for you. Check out our helpful Bulgaria travel hacks to make the most out of your trip!
Basic Information About Bulgaria
Bulgaria is home to 7 million people. Around 85% of the total population consists of ethnic Bulgarians. The main minority ethnic groups are Macedonians, Turks, Roma and others.
The official language is Bulgarian, the language that belongs to the southern Slavic language group.
Bulgarian’s official currency is the Bulgarian lev (currency code BNG). One Euro/USD is equal to roughly 1.96-1.76 BNG.
With a territory of 110,993.6 square kilometers, Bulgaria is located in the eastern Balkan Peninsula and shares the border with 5 countries- Macedonia & Serbia (West), Greece & Turkey( South), Romania (North), its the 16th largest country in Europe.
Bulgaria’s climate is temperate and continental with four different seasons. The winters (November- March) regularly have temperatures below 0 while the summers are relatively hot with the average temperature ranging between 25 and 35 °C.
Economy & Budget
Bulgaria is an upper-middle income country with a mixed economy. The average monthly income is between 900-1000 BNG per month (around 500 Euros), making Bulgaria a relatively budget-friendly country for European standards. Backpackers can survive with around $35-$40 per day, while mid-range travelers spend between $60 and $70 per day on average.
Sofia is Bulgaria’s capital and its largest city with total population of 1.2 million.
Books to read before traveling to Bulgaria
More Bulgaria Travel Hacks
- Life In Bulgaria- 11 Incredible Things I Learned Living In Bulgaria
- 35 Fun Facts About Bulgaria You Probably Didn’t Know
- 45 Important Historical Sites from the 45 countries of Europe
- Bulgaria On Course to Rival Spain as Destination of Choice for Older Travelers
- The most common tourist scams in Eastern Europe and how to avoid them
- Balkan Road Trip- 22 Important Things To Know Before You Go
- Why Visit Bulgaria- 18 Great Reasons To Book Your Trip Now
- 11 Great Reasons To Try Backpacking Europe In Winter + 5 Awesome Itinerarie