You probably didn’t hear that there’s a country named Macedonia before. But you would be surprised by the history and natural beauty of this small piece of land. Are you planning to visit Macedonia soon? Then you might need some helpful travel tips and suggestions before you visit. Good news, you’re in the right place! In this section Macedonia travel hacks, you’ll find everything you need to know before visiting.
Basic Information About Macedonia
Macedonia is home to 2 million people. Around 64.2% of the total population consists of ethnic Macedonians. The main minority ethnic groups are Albanians, Turks, Romani, Serbs, Bosniaks, Aromanians.
The official language is Macedonians, a South Slavic language.
Macedonia’s official currency is the Macedonian denar (currency code MKD). One Euro/USD is equal to roughly 54-61 MKD.
With a territory of 25,713 square kilometers, Macedonia is the 37th largest country in Europe. Macedonia shares its border with Serbia to the North, Kosovo to the northwest, Bulgaria to the east, Greece to the south, and Albania to the west. Macedonia is a landlock country but has an Island.
Macedonia has a Mediterranean to continental climate with four different seasons. The winters (November- March) regularly have temperatures below 0 while the summers are relatively hot with the average temperature ranging between 30 and 35 °C.
Economy & Budget
Macedonia is an upper-middle income country with a mixed economy. The average monthly income is MKD 26,836 (435 Euros), making Macedonia a budget-friendly country for European standards. Backpackers can survive with around $30 per day, while mid-range travelers spend between $50 and $70 per day on average.
Skopje is the capital city of Macedonia with total population of 800,000.
Books to read before traveling to Macedonia
More Macedonia Travel Hacks
- 35 Beautiful Cities In Macedonia You Should Seriously Consider Visiting
- 32 Incredible Things To Do In Ohrid, Macedonia
- Visiting Skopje Old Bazaar- The Most Beautiful Part of Skopje
- Visiting Matka Canyon From Skopje- Everything You Need To Know
- Top 30 Best Food Destinations in Europe
- 45 Important Historical Sites from the 45 countries of Europe
- 28 Amazing Places to visit in Macedonia – Bucket List Ideas
- The most common tourist scams in Eastern Europe and how to avoid them
- The Great Skopje Fortress (Kale) – 9 Important Things To Know
- Balkan Road Trip- 22 Important Things To Know Before You Go
- 28 Amazing Underrated Cities In Europe You Have To Visit
- 30 Amazing Things To Do In Skopje From A Local
- 11 Great Reasons To Try Backpacking Europe In Winter + 5 Awesome Itinerarie