In Russia, you don’t find adventure. Adventure finds you. The world’s largest country spreads across eight different time zones and has a lot of different landscapes. From snowy mountains to sandy beaches on the black sea, Russia has it all. It’s a country that anyone has to visit at least once in a lifetime. Are you planning to visit Russia? Make sure to read our articles out to get some important Russia travel hacks & tricks.
Basic Information About Russia
Russia is home to 144 million people. Around 81% of the total population consists of ethnic Russian. The main minority ethnic groups are Tatar ,Ukrainian, Armenian, Bashkir, Chuvash and others.
The official language is Russian.
Russia’s official currency is the Russian ruble (currency code RUB). One Euro/USD is equal to roughly 80.7-73.8 RUB.
With a territory of 17,098,246 square kilometers, Russia is the largest country in the world. Russia is larger than the continents of Oceania, Europe and Antarctica. Russia stretches over a vast expanse of Eastern Europe and Northern Asia and is been bordered by 14 countries by land: Norway, Finland, Estonia, Letonia, Lithuania, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, China and North Korea.
Russia has a vast variety of climate because of its enormous size. Most of Northern European Russia and Siberia between the Scandinavian Peninsula and the Pacific Ocean has a subarctic climate, with extremely severe winters in the inner regions of Northeast Siberia especially the Sakha Republic, where the Northern Pole of Cold is located. Russia has 4 different seasons.
Economy & Budget
Russia is an upper-middle income country with a mixed economy. Backpackers can survive with around $30 per day, while mid-range travelers spend between $70 and $90 per day on average.
Moscow is the capital city of Russia with total population of 11 million.
Books to read before traveling to Russia
More Russia Travel Hacks
- Winter In Saint Petersburg: A Guide To An Icy Paradise In The Heart Of Russia
- 17 cool things to do in Sochi – Russia’s Beach and Ski Resort
- From Moscow to Vladivostok: The longest train ride in the world
- Vacation spots in Russia- Russia’s best holiday destinations beyond Moscow and Saint Petersburg
- The most common tourist scams in Eastern and Central Europe and how to avoid them
- 10 closed Russian cities Russia is hiding from the World
- 10 Popular Stereotypes about Russia which aren’t true
- The 17 most isolated cities in the world
- Where to go in Russia: Underrated destinations in Russia you didn’t know existed
- Yekaterinburg: a fascinating metropolitan city where Europe meets Asia