Sandwiched between India and China, Nepal is one of the most fascinating countries on earth. Nepal is primarily known as a Mecca for hikers but that’s not all this country has to offer. This country provides a great mix of Himalayan views, ancient temples, charming village life, and jungle wildlife. All this makes Nepal one of the greatest travel destinations in the world. Are you planning to visit Nepal soon? Check out some of our helpful Nepal travel tips & tricks to learn everything you need to know before visiting!
Basic Information About Nepal
Nepal is home to 28 million people. Around 16.6% and 12.2% of the total population consists of ethnic Chhetri and Bahun. The main minority ethnic groups are Magar, Tharu, Tamang, Newar and other.
The official language is Nepali.
Nepal’s official currency is the Nepalese rupee (currency code NRP). One Euro/USD is equal to roughly 131-121 NRP.
With a territory of 147,181 square kilometers, Nepal is the 93rd largest country by area. It is located mainly in the Himalayas, but also includes parts of the Indo-Gangetic Plain and shares the border with India by the Indian states of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, and Sikkim and with China by Tibet Autonomous Region (Xizang).
Nepal climate ranges from sub-tropical to arctic depending upon the altitude with five different seasons. Summer, Spring, Monsoon, Autumn and winter.
Economy & Budget
Nepal is a developing country with a mixed economy. Backpackers can survive with around $15-20 per day, while mid-range travelers spend between $40 and $60 per day on average.
Kathmandu is the capital city of Nepal with the total population of 1 million.
Books to read before traveling to Nepal
More Nepal Travel Tips
- Everything You Have to Know Before Taking an Everest Helicopter Tour
- Things you should know before visiting Nepal
- Nar Phu Valley Trek- everything you need to know
- The ultimate guide to trekking Tsum Valley in Nepal
- Manaslu Circuit Trek itinerary and everything you need to know
- Annapurna base camp trek: how much does it cost?
- Tips for Everest Base Camp Trek You Should Know Before Going For The Mount Everest
- The ultimate Nepal packing list: here’s everything you need to carry
- Hotel Review: Hotel Himalaya Hub in Kathmandu
- Hotel Review: Green Park Resort in Chitwan, Nepal
- A review of one of the best budget hotels in Pokhara: Hotel Nana
- Trekking in the Annapurna Region with Glorious Himalaya
- 3 Rooms by Pauline in Kathmandu: Hotel Review by Passport Symphony
- 23 most amazing places to travel to before you die: Part 2