The Colosseum in Rome, the charming watery channels of Venice, the Leaning Tower of Pisa… Italy sure has some of the most iconic places for travelers to visit. Are you planning to visit the Apennines soon? Check out our articles about Italy to get some helpful tips (from a local) before you visit.
Basic Information About Italy
Italy is home to 60.4 million people. Around 91.5% of the total population consists of ethnic Italian. The main minority ethnic groups are Albanians, Ukrainians, African and others.
The official language is Italian.
Italy’s official currency is the Euro.
With a territory of 301,340 square kilometers, Italy is the 10th largest country in Europe. Italy is located in the Southern Europe and borders with France, Switzerland, Austria, and Slovenia to the north.
Italy has a Mediterranean climate with four different seasons. The winters (December – February) normally are mild with temperatures between -4°C to 14°C while the summers are relatively hot with the average temperature ranging between 23°C to 28°C but the more south you go the warmer it gets.
Economy & Budget
Italy is a developed and major advanced country with a mixed economy, it is the third-largest in the Euro zone and the 8th largest in the world. The average monthly income is €1,878, making Italy relatively an expensive country to travel. Backpackers can survive with around $55 per day, while mid-range travelers spend between $90 and $120 per day on average.
Rome is the largest and the capital of Italy, with population of 4.3 million.
Books to read before traveling to Italy
More Italy Travel Tips
- 3 Days In Tuscany- 5 Different Creative Ways To Plan Your Trip
- 24 Beautiful Beaches In Puglia You Have To Visit On Your Trip
- Where To Stay In The Dolomites- 10 Important Things You Need To Know
- 26 Unusual Things To Do In Florence- Discover A Different Side Of The City
- 48 Fun Facts About Sicily That Will Blow Your Mind
- 27 Amazing Medieval Towns In Italy You Should Seriously Consider Visiting
- 21 Hidden Gems In Venice For An Unforgettable Adventure
- Via Sacra- Visiting The Oldest Street In Rome
- 30 Hidden Gems In Northern Italy You Didn’t Know Existed
- One Day In Venice- The Ultimate Guide To Exploring Venice In 24 Hours
- The Ultimate Guide To Hiking In The Dolomites + 16 Best Trails in The Dolomites
- 15 Beautiful Small Town and Villages in Rome Metropolitan Area
- Rome Mithraeum- Seven Of The Most Mysterious Underground Sites in Rome
- How To Spend 10 Days in Italy: 6 Amazing Itineraries
- 35 Fun Facts About Florence You Probably Didn’t Know
- Top 30 Best Food Destinations in Europe
- 45 Important Historical Sites from the 45 countries of Europe
- Rome off the beaten path: 19 hidden gems in the eternal city for a different experience
- The best things to do in Puglia- tips on what to do and where to go
- Sicily off the beaten path- 16 hidden gems to visit on your trip to Sicily
- Hotel Review: Lungarno, a fine 5-star hotel in Florence
- Florence off the beaten track: 15 hidden gems in Florence you didn’t know about
- 25 things you can only experience in Italy
- 25 Hidden Gems In Italy Off The Beaten Track You Didn’t Know Existed
- Visit Tuscany for the first time- 10 Amazing things to do in Tuscany for first timers
- Hidden gems in Europe- 10 underrated towns in Europe that look like they came out of a fairy tale
- Why should you consider backpacking Europe in the winter?
- Visiting Italy on a budget: tips and tricks